Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My Little Dream... World Map

Years ago on an tv episode ( i cant even remember which one) the couple where buying vintage bits and bobs and went to a little store in devon where they purchased a world map!

I will always remember it because i am fascinated by maps and travel and couple look at a map for hours!
This couple brought their map and took it home to put it in their house, they put photos of themselves on the map in the various places. For instance a picture of them at the Leaning Tower of Pisa was pinned to Italy.
I was so impressed by it! I have always wanted an old world map to frame and have on my wall, my idea is slightly different in that i would border the frame of photos of my travels in various places all over the world wherever i would be fortunate enough to go!

Who knew though my hunt for a World Map would take so long. Admittedly i havent been looking every single day, in every single shop or touring the internet in desperation to find it, but id never ever seen one. Of course there are the modern maps you can get in your local stationery or book store, but i wanted something different.

After a visit to Chesapeake Mill again with mumsy we found a gorgeous 'duck egg blue again!!' painted long piece of wood i would say about 120cm long which simply said "the world is your oyster" I loved it, it was perfect and would fit perfectly above my non-existent old world map!
I made the mistake of saying to mum, "i wont get it yet, ill get the map first!" what an idiot! incase you havent learnt this lesson already ladies and gents! if you like something... buy it! especially if its in a second hand or vintage store as you may not see it again! So we left the mill and i never did buy my appropriate sign! however i figure, all is not lost as i will be able to make my own one day! (we'll see how that goes later on?)

Anyway i will stop waffling and get to the point! being... i found my map! at a gorgeous store
Willow and Stone!  

Check out my map click here 
Its wrapping paper! and cost just 3 GBP amazing!! all the countries are listed in there old form and i love it. Again mumsy came to the rescue and for christmas she had flattened the paper and framed it as my present! No creases, holes or tears completely immaculate!

One very happy bunny to say the least! now it will take me same length of time to hunt down that sign again! If you find anything "the world is my oyster" please let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Perfect! I've been wanting a world map for ages so may just get one of these!

    Here's a sign http://www.doorstepadventures.co.uk/Gisela-Graham-May-The-World-Be-Your-Oyster

    ReplyDelete