Monday, November 5, 2012

Finding the perfect cake stand...

You may have seen my earlier post about cake stands. I love baking and feeling that sense of achievement when you pull that beautifully risen cake from the oven, but nothing upsets me more than when you've given out the portions and the rest of the cake goes into a tupperware in the cupboard.

That's why cake stands are beautiful and like i showed you in a previous blog Nigella, Donna and those Gorgeous cake stands

The one i loved which i found on etsy.com turned out just to be for decoration and not to be used for food due to the paint that was used. 
So i was bake to trying to find a cake stand on a pedestal with a glass dome. Its easy enough to find a pedestal cake stand and as i showed in that blog i simply adore Nigella Lawson's which comes in all pink, white and my beautiful blue (pictured below)


My hunt for the perfect cake stand has led me to big brand stores, vintage shabby chic boutiques and even wholesale yards. Literally on both sides of the world in New Zealand and the UK and the searches on the internet proved disapointing too. In the end i even thought about just purchasing the cloche (glass dome) but to get the measurements right with the stand proved tricky. Then i thought about buying a cheesedome and painting a candlestick and adding it to the bottom to give it the pedestal effect!

I know what your thinking there would be no point to my ramblings if there wasnt an ending but there is and a successful ending too!!
Well... almost!
Trust Mumsy to come up trumps on a trip to 'Hobbycraft!' Hobbycraft!!??? i kid you not!

I absolutely adore my new cake stand, (which mum brought for a birthday present in the end) one catch... the cake stand was brought in England and im in New Zealand so i will have to wait till our return back to England to live to actually use it. In the meantime i just have to look at this lovely photo mum has sent me of it and think of the beautifully baked smelling Victoria Sponge she has promised to fill it with on our Christmas visit.


I'll make sure i post a picture of the sponge! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment